Thursday, May 1, 2014

Why do I paint!

"Cartiglio" - oil on panel - 17.5 x 17.5 inches

I create art because I have to. There is in me a need to put down with paint the ideas that constantly are in my mind. People ask me how do I come up with a subject matter for my paintings. Well, some time they come to me by actually seen a image of what the painting should look like. Other times an object will  bring inspiration for a painting or a title for a painting will come to me. The rest is easy!

As a childI I never had any doubt that my call in life was to be a fine artist. I am grateful to my family for supporting and nourishing my childhood dream of becoming an artist. I thank my mother for helping me develop my artistic talent very early on in my life.

My family and I emigrated to the US from Cuba in 1965. After graduating from High School in 1969 I attended The School of Visual Arts in New York City. I wanted to study fine painting but in my second year at the School I changed my studies to Graphic design.

Although I always had a natural knack for putting together set-ups to paint, studying graphic design trains my eye to see a good composition. 

Later on in my life I had the good fortune of studying under Ann D. Schuler director of The Schuler School of Fine Arts. Ms. Schuler taught me classical art and how to use my talent to create masterful works of art.
I always try to learn from the masters specially Michelangelo da Merici da Caravaggio, Michelangelo Buonarroti and Leonard da Vinci. I remember as a child copying in color pencils the baby Jesus figure from Leonardo da Vinci’s the “Virgin of the rocks” painting. Unfortunately this early drawing and many more I had to leave behind in Cuba when I left. 

Some other artist I admire are American trompe l’oeil painter William Harnett,  Contemporary  French trompe l’oeil painter Jacques Poirier, Chilean painter Claudio Brabo, and Norwegian artist Odd Nerdrum.  

Vincent Van Gogh once said “I want to touch people with my art. I want them to say 'he feels deeply, he feels tenderly.’  I find this quote inspiring, it motivates me to create the best art I am able to produce. 

Why do you paint?

Please feel free to leave a comment or just tell me your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment